Saturday, July 19, 2008

My tired brain...

So, I just re-read what I wrote yesterday (very early in the morning, if you ask me) and realized that I did not leave very many details as to what my doctor visit provided me. So here goes:

I went in to see this doctor for the first time (I had wanted to be referred to him for months!) In the interest of confidentiality, let's call him Dr. Lovely. The first thing that Dr. Lovely wanted to do, after recording all of my information and complaints, was a pap smear and internal exam. No problem (I'm lucky...these are not painful, or even remotely uncomfortable for me). He said that I have a great uterus, that everything feels perfectly normal, and so far so good. He also did an exam on my thyroid - all normal there too.

After I got dressed, we discussed what might be happening to my body. He says that contrary to popular belief, at this stage in the game, my irregular cycles are NOT linked to coming off of the birth control pill (I didn't think so, but when you hear something often enough...) He prescribed blood work to be taken on certain days of my cycle, to test my progesterone levels. Apparently, this will give him an idea as to whether or not I'm ovulating now (and does not recommend charting, stating that it's only 70% accurate, whereas the tests and medical histories he's compiling will tell me within 99% accuracy). Basically, Doc Lovely thinks I'm either not ovulating, or ovulating irregularily.

(He actually seemed more convinced that I may be ovulating irregularly, but I think he may be overly optimistic)

Anyway...I asked him, what happens if I am ovulating, but very irregularly...it's hard to get pregnant with cycles over 100 days!!! So, I guess depending on the results, I might start some type of medication to help me ovulate. We'll just have to see how things go now!

No comments: